From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 21:38:24 -0400
A durian is a large fruit from the Southeast Asia, Malaysia, Indonesia
area (somewhere in there). It's similar in size to a coconut, but has a
green, heavy rind completely covered in pointy bumps (Best way I can
think to describe them. "Spikes" might give the wrong impression.) It is
pink inside. It is a favorite food of the orangutan. Durian is supposed
to be unusual in that when you cut it open it gives off a strong,
repulsive odor, but the flesh is very sweet. I can't guarantee the
accuracy of any of the above, because I've never actually eaten any, but
I've read about them and seen them for sale one the street in Chinatown
in Boston and Toronto.

Hilary McClure
Danville, VT