Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:20:58 -0400
Alice McNally's experience :
>> My first pregnancy, no morning sickness and I
miscarried.  The next two, felt like I was hungover for 3 months with both!
Both were healthy babies!  With one I craved healthy food - especially
chicken broth/soup.

This does not prove anythying.  There can be many variables at work. What
you are talking about is a correlation.  It is not necessarily a causation,
i.e. that morning sickness = a healthy baby.  Likewise, having no morning
sickness and then a miscarriage does not mean that the two were causally
related.  Another example: many people think that eating cholesterol and fat
rich foods causes high cholesterol levels and/or causes heart attacks.  But
that is not a fact, it is a correclation!

Btw:  I Know of some women who had have morning sickness and found that
eating more protein helped.  What foods one goes for has more to do with
culture and habit, whether pregnant or not, than with a physical need.  The
Maori don't crave ice cream when pregnant.  The natives in their wild state
of nature don't know what ice cream is.   Ditto for potato chips.  In native
cultures, there were special foods given---to BOTH parents-- prior to
conception, during  pregnancy, and after the birth.  We don't have such
practices here.  A lot of what is taken as normal or healthy with regard to
eating and eating habits is culturally based---and in the US, commercially
driven.  You might want to check out Dr. Ron Schmid's book, Traditional
Foods Are Your Best Medicine.  It talks about some of these native
practices.

There are some cravings  that people say they have---that are the result of
dysfunctional eating habits, not bodily needs.  Awoman's habits prior to
pregnancy will have a major influence on her food choices during pregnancy.
Also, certain nutritional deficiencies, and/or beliefs about food, can lead
to a woman avoiding some of the very foods she needs during pregnancy.

I don't want to drag out this discussion; I only want to add some
information that some may not have thought of.

Rachel