From:
David Lewandowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:21:09 -0800
At 12:59 PM 01/09/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>Hmmm. . . I was always under the impression that aerobic exercise burned fat
>equally off all parts of the body, and that, likewise, weight bearing
>exercise strengthened all the bones in the body. If this is not true, then
>would we not have to do weight bearing exercise on each and every bone in the
>body, to prevent bone loss in every bone?

        The pull on the bone is stress enough to cause an adaptive increase in
density. So, it is more important to exercise all muscle groups to increase
bone density. Anaerobic exercise such as weight training is better at
conditioning the cardio vascular system and burning fat than aerobic
exercise will ever be.

>Another question- I have quite a lot of nerve and other damage to my back,
>both in the lumbar and cervical regions, which prevents me from doing much in
>the way of weight training of any sort.

>Maddy Mason
>Hudson Valley, NY

        I broke my neck in three places and herniated 6 disc through out the
spine. I was paralyzed from the neck down for 2 days. I have squatted and
deadlifted over 600 in competition and over 800lbs in partial movements. It
took a long time to recover but your body can do the same if and when given
the opportunity to heal it can and will.

Dave