Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 17:56:57 -0400
Stacie Tolen wonders if there are people who indeed can not
tolerate breakfast at all, much less meat for breakfast.

I  highly doubt it!!  In my experience, people who don't like or eat
breakfast, or don't feel a need for it are people who eat many, if not most,
of their calories late in the day and well into the evening, so they have
little appetite for breakfast.  Note what happens:  the person skips
breakfast, eats lunch or scrimps on lunch, then eats dinner and snacks after
dinner or eats a very large dinner very late.  His or or body clock is
thrown off and the space between dinner and the early morning is shortened,
so hunger is reduced or absent.  In Chinese Medical theory, the lack of
hunger in the morning can be explained by liver qi (pronounced chee)
stagnation caused by late night eat which is not in harmony with the body's
circadian rhythms.  Things slow down as nigh falls, making the body less
efficient at using large amounts of food ingested late at night.

Researchers have found that when people eat breakfast, and take in the
majority (two-thirds) of their calories, before 2 pm, they are less likely
to be overweight and less likely to binge or overeat in the evening.  Over
the years I have observed that many people, women especially, eat bird like
breakfasts, scrimp on lunch (often in an attempt to lose weight), then
complain of an "uncontrollable" hunger in the evening which leads them into
a feeding frenzy.  They have created such a deficit.... over-controlled
under-eating leads to its opposite----un-controlled over-eating.

If a person who does not ordinarily want or eat breakfast fasts after 6 pm
every evening for three days, or eats only a salad, fruit or very light meal
before 6 pm, I'll bet my bottom dollar that he or she will develop a strong
morning appetite.  This can help reset the appestat so that breakfast is
desired and the person can begin to consume more of his or her food during
the active hours of the day.

Starting the day without breakfast, I believe, is a recipe for eating a lot
or overeating later in the day.

Interesting, Siobhan's experience confirms the above, though I am in no way
attcking her or her practices, just illustrating a point.  She says
 >>I'm one of those people, despite earnest attempts to eat breakfast.  I
>>feel like I'm going to become ill when I eat in the AM.
>>I eat an early lunch at about 11 am (get up 5 am), have a mid-afternoon snack,
>>then a later dinner (between 7pm and 10pm).  And coffee in the AM and late
>>afternoon.

In the absence of food, coffee can get your motor running, in part by
releasing liver qi stagnation and activating the adrenals.  Habitually
eating dinner between 7 and 10 pm is probably the reason that she is not
hungry for breakfast and that many late night eaters share her sentiments.

Not wanting meat (or protein rich foods in general) for breakfast, is
largely a matter of habit.  It only sounds strange to many Americans to eat
salmon steaks, turkey burgers, or steak and vegetable for breakfast.  To a
primitive HG, the idea of eating cold cereal with milk and sugar or pop
tarts or doughnuts and coffee would seem equally strange!

Tastes and habits can change, but they are part of a lifestyle and mindset.
A person has to want to change and has to be willing to use his/her mind to
change habits, until the new practices feel "right" and "natural."

Rachel