NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:56:10 -0400
"Seegal Anselmo wrote:"

> In a message dated 8/19/2004 8:52:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> > When it's labeled OU-pareve, it's free of milk or meat. When it's labeled
> > OU, it's also pareve. (See http://www.ou.org/kosher/policy.htm)
> >

> Thank you for sending this site.
> >From it I understand that OU (without the Pareve) is still OK? I thoguht OU
> meant kosher (not non dairy). Sorry to be so dense, I have been avoicing OU,
> and just getting OU with the Pareve.

You are right, OU without the pareve is *usually* still OK.  The
exceptions are when the item is obviously dairy.  For example, a carton
of milk will usually just have OU on it with no D, since it's obviously
dairy.  IME the OU does not usualy write "pareve" on the package unless
it's something that looks like it would be dairy, like a non-dairy
creamer.  Most pareve processed products just have the OU.  Also you
should note that any kosher meat products, while not "pareve" (since
pareve means non-meat and non-dairy) would definitely be dairy-free
since kosher law forbids the mixing of milk and meat.

--Robyn