C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 18:18:54 -0500
Hi Kathy,

Welcome to the CP List

I'm 59, now recovering (about 5 yrs.) quad, from cervical myelopathy
requiring C2-5 emergency laminectomy to keep spinal cord from being
squeezed by spinal column.  Been experiencing increased spasms, muscle
lock, and chronic pain for last 15 years in traps, neck, head, and upper
arms.  Symptoms and magnitude of pain are episodic.  Also sport a
dislocated right shoulder of dubious operability.

Find oral meds blur what little remains of my mind.  Just started Botox
injections but too early to report.

I feel sure you’ll get many opinions from the group.  For sure, many of
us are going through comparable difficulties.

Glad to meet you.

Steve M.

>From: "K. Salkin" <[log in to unmask]>

>Subject: Introduction

>Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 17:30:38 -0500

>To the list:

>Greetings.

>I am a 48-year old female paraplegic CP who lives in North Carolina but
was

>born and raised in Los  Angeles CA. (did anyone on the list go to Chas.

>Lowman Elementary School in Los Angeles?).  I moved with my family to
NC in

>1968 and have lived in the state ever since, except for brief times in

>London, UK and the Washington DC area.  I work for a major texile firm
as a

>Human Resources Information System analyst and live on my own in an

>apartment 10 minutes away from work by car.

>My CP is stable but I have had age-related symptoms for many years -
severe

>osteoarthrits in one hip, increased spasticity, muscle fatigue and less

>energy.  I am in a wheelchair due to a broken leg I suffered three and

>half years ago - fell at work and broke my tibia and fibula - and never
did

>get my balance and muscle tone back.

>I am looking into getting treatment for my increased spasticity that
doesn't

>involve taking oral drugs which make me sleepy.  The only ones I know
of are

>boxtox injections and a baclofen pump.  Are there others appropriate
for CP

>adults?  Could anyone share their experiences with these treatments?
I'd

>like to go to the neurologist with as much information at hand as
possible.