C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 07:11:54 -0500
I have a son who is 5 1/2 and has spastic quad. I have learned to accept
what joy has said about walking. It really does only get you from point A to
B in an upright position. My son had SDR surgery to lessen the spasticicity
in his legs. It is a very drastic surgery and the very best thing we've ever
done for him. With his legs relaxed ( he can now sit with his legs stretched
out in front of him with and without AFO's and no support) He is just now 18
mo after the surgery starting to use a walker. I've been with him when he
uses his WC and I've been with him when he tried his walker in the school.
In the WC he tended to be invisible or get patronizing little smiles from
the adults. In his walker people and kids came up to talk with him and
there were lot's of hey cool, Alex is walking. I don't know what kind of PT
you had Joy but I find it very necessary to keep him moving in order to not
lose skills. We did stop going to the  hospital for PT because I couldn't
see spending the gas,parking money and time just to have a therapist stretch
his legs for five minutes and then have him walk the corridor for another
20. We do that at home. His school PT though works on living skills. Getting
in/out of chair by himself. Walking stairs, adapting games so he can join
in. It was quite a thrill to have him come home and say Mom I like playing
Duck, Duck, Goose.Alex also has lots of siblings he tries to keep up with.
Big Time wrestling reigns in our house and the body slam is king. PT wise
that means tall kneeling, holding it ( for suspense of course) and than the
finale of stretching his arms up for the slam. Every single movement had to
be taught to him that he has made in his entire life. The RIGHT PT is very
essential to good therapy.You just have to remember that lots of things in
life are PT ( and fun) like swimming,others claim horseback riding is
fantastic or just a toddlers tumbling class. The hardest thing isn't for the
child to accomplish these things ( and it is really hard for Alex) but for
the parent watching same age and younger children do these things in class
without any effort.
Joanne