C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 00:51:28 -0500
Karen said:
My dreams and wishes is that my daughter will one day walk on her own and join her twin brother in activities.

Walking isn't all it's cracked up to be.  Yes, it opens some doors.  But your daughter can achieve many wonderful things without ever taking a step.  I'm 17 with CP, and discontinued physical therapy at 10 to make more time for activities, friends, and school.  I use a manual wheelchair.  I'm going off to college in the fall with a academic scholarship, have plenty of friends, and thoroughly enjoy my very full life.  You need to make the decisions that are best for your daughter... but don't allow learning to walk to become so much of a focus that it obscures the rest of life.  Welcome to the list!

~Joy~
http://www.geocities.com/joy0823
Last Movie Seen:  "Frequency" - 5 out of 5 stars
Current Book:  "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb