C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Karen K. Perlow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:17:26 EST
In a message dated 03/26/2001 9:32:10 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< .Regular ed. teachers who aren't
 effectively trained or are resistant to special needs kids aren't going
 to be successful with inclusion.  So, it takes a "special" regular ed.
 teacher to make inclusion work! >>

Linda,

Truer words were never spoken..or in this case typed .:) My middle daughter
has Asperger's Syndrome.Most special ed students at her middle school are
automatically put on the team that takes Spanish ( if they are encouraged to
take a foreign language at all ).I suppose some think it's the easiest
language to learn.Anyway, my daughter excelled at French in 6th grade,  so we
put it in the IEP that she take French in 7th grade.

I know that was part of the reason we had a struggle in 7th grade..The French
team had never dealt with a full inclusion student before. Her social studies
teacher was lost when it came to handling some things.It seems I am always
blazing the trail somewhere...My point is a couple days of in service
training isn't going to cut it.Training that sinks in takes time...& open
minded participants.

Karen :)