BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Astral Rendered Bee Wax -TM"
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 18:30:51 EDT
In a message dated 4/14/00 1:41:31 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Ken, I don't quite follow this.  What is the proper way to prevent the rust
 stains that I always see on reasonably fresh paint?  Complete disassembly and
 back painting?

>>> Well, yes, and this is what Historical Arts & Castings will do for a tidy
sum. Problem is most building owners in NYC won't go for deferal of their
children's education in order to finance such a thorough job. Here is an area
where I think developers come out ahead as they seem to be willing to put
investor's money into doing a thorough job -- possibly more focus on
insurance loss if the facade falls on somebody. Most cast iron buildings are
below the 6 floor limit and therefore not subject to Local Law 11 inspections.

Or does caulking really do this?

>>> Caulking is a bandaid that may fit under the "do no harm" clause. An
interim measure that may, or may not, help to keep the cast iron from falling
off the building for a few more years and thereby not being sent off secretly
at night to a Brooklyn salvage yard. An aside, though I prefer 2 point
adhesion I will opt for three-point adhesion rather then no point adhesion.
Sometimes preservation sort of happens in the trenches.

Were cast-iron buildings designed to be weathertight, anyway?

>>> Ask Bogardus, it was his idea.

And if they're not weathertight, then there's always going to be rush-schmeer
on the cast-iron-bagel, right?

>>> Rust smear indicates that something is slowly going away, hopefully not
the internal supports to the cast iron which essentially is a thin shell held
together with bolts -- in some cases held together with caulking, paint and
duck tape.

][<en