Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 06:41:13 -0500
I have a 180 MHz P6 Micron Millenium that died.

To me it looks like a dead power supply (nothing at all
happens when you try to turn it on).

However, it has mobo-controlled power.  Two wires from
the 'power' switch go to a little connector on the mobo
labelled 'sftpwr' (soft-power?).

How can I test if the power supply has actually gone bad?

My concern is that the power supply is okay, but that some
problem with the mobo is keeping it from signalling the
power supply to turn on.

BTW, I tried unplugging the power switch cable from the
sftpwr connector, and shorting the two pins together.
This had no effect.

The only other clue I have is a wiring label on the power
supply that shows a diagram for a double-pole, single-throw
switch, with the four terminals labelled 'blk', wht', brn', and
'blu'.

In addition to the power cables that go to the various peripherals,
there is a multi-wire connector from the power supply that
plugs into the mobo.  I'm assuming some of these wires signal
the power supply to turn on.

One last question:  if the power supply is bad, what to I need
to look out for to insure that a replacement supply is compatible?
How standardized are these things?  Do they come in standard
sizes, with standard locations for the mounting screws?

The power supply in question is a U.S. Power, model
rp2-5250f-atx, 250W switching power supply, ca 1996.

Thanks for your advice.

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: