NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:05:08 -0400
This whole subject is thorny.

Labeled bakery cakes will list all added ingredients, but as my recent
experience with bakery goods teaches me, this offers no guarantee of the
absence of an allergenic contaminant.

In most cases, the need for a labeled cake is so that a parent who is less
aware of the real risks will not say "this cake is fine" and not be aware
that, say, eggs or milk would be fatal to some child.

The best approach is open dialog with the teacher and the school nurse. The
policy was established for a reason, and knowing the reason is important.
If there is any flexibility in this policy, an arrangement may be possible.

The parents of all of the affected children may want to meet to work this
out. If a milk-free, egg-free, nut-free cake is required, then the other
parents may come to trust that you know what this means and that you can
honor this without putting their child at significant risk. Eventually,
they will have to learn who to trust (with verification), and they might
even feel supported by being among a set of very worried/careful parents.
Communication is key.

And to honor their concerns (and their child's learning and responsible,
label-reading behavior), you could send in a complete list of ingredients
of the item that you have baked, including a statement that no other
ingredients were used and that the utensils and pans were thoroughly
cleaned before baking.

I do like the idea of sending in special commercially available items such
as Tofutti Cuties, or commercially prepared cookies that your child and
others can eat. It's not the same as home-baked, but it is special.

Mark

Mark Feblowitz

My shared experience is no substitute for proper medical care.
Any recommendation of any product or service is strictly as a satisfied
customer.