NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
engjrntchr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 21:37:43 -0700
Anybody have new ideas for school lunches this year???

Would love to have some new options and ideas for long shelf life after
school snacks I can leave at the baby-sitter.  I did find a Thermos type
container that will fit in our lunch box!!  A step in the right
direction.

Below is a recap of what I posted last year.  I hope it helps someone.
I'd love  to share your ideas!!

Deborah
Here are my daughter's top 14 lunch favorites:

 1.  Vegetarian refried beans spread on a milk-free flour tortilla.  I
 roll it up and put it in a ziptop bag.  She also likes to take tortilla

 chips and dip them in refried beans.  She calls it bean dip.

 2.  Boiled eggs!  This is simple but she really loves them!  I add
 another zip top bag with cut up carrots, celery, cucumbers and green
 pepper strips.  When I can get it, I make a simple dip with no-milk
mayo
 and a few seasonings to dip the veggies.

 3.  She loves cold cooked (a bit easier to chew) broccoli.  I send this

 as often as possible as it is high in calcium.

 4.  Peanut butter and jelly on a milk-free flour tortilla.  I roll it
up
 and put it in a zip top bag.

 5.  I use small Tupperware type containers for fruit, applesauce, etc.
 I send lots of fruit and fresh veggies.  Luckily my daughter likes
 both.  Frozen peas are nice and thaw by lunchtime.

 6. Whenever I make homemade biscuits I make a few extra and make
 miniature sandwiches the next day using bologna, pb&j, etc.

 7.  My daughter likes pasta of any kind.  She especially likes elbow
 noodles.  She will eat  them with tomato sauce.  She prefers them cold
 and plain.....just a bit of non-dairy margarine and salt & pepper.

 8.  I buy lots of 100% juice boxes.  Edensoy has soy milk in 8 oz.
 boxes.  I sometimes buy these.  More often I use a refillable juice box

 size plastic container by Rubbermaid.  It is flat and has a straw
 inside.

 9.  LEFTOVERS!!!  Anything that I think will be safe with a small
 reusable blue ice thing and can be eaten cold.  I have not found a
 thermos-type container that she can open easily without spills.  If I
 found one, I'd probably send more leftovers.

 10.  Pita bread with sandwich stuff inside.  Sometimes I scramble eggs
 and put them inside with a little lettuce and bacon that is chopped up.

 11.  I make lots of muffins to send to school.  I use Imagine puddings
 too.

12. Imagine puddings

13.  Kosher parve rice cakes

14.  Pre-packaged fruit  or applesauce containers

 I always send a spoon and napkin as my daughter does not even go
through
 the lunch line with the other kids.  She goes directly to the table.
 Her class eats first and she sits on the end of the row of tables so
she
 can get up if there is a spill of some sort.  The lunch monitor throws
 her trash away so she does not have to be near the area where students
 are carrying trays and dumping milk cartons.

 Of course I send other things sometimes but this is our regular fare.
 Any ideas would be appreciated.  I like to prepare most things myself
 rather than using canned/ready-made foods.  I keep a few Mrs.
 Manischewitz Pasta with Vegetable meals at school in case a lunch is
 forgotten.  These are Kosher pareve.  Is one of the cup-a-soup type
 meals where you just add boiling water. These are nice to take on trips

 too!