C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 15:27:23 EST
I looked over title III briefly last night, but it was such a brief glance
that I didn't get much.  I saw references to school laboratories and lecture
halls, but I have to go back and really dig.  Other people here seem to know
more about this part of it anyway.

CPR is not often successful if it is begun after the first couple of minutes
after the heart stops.  If CPR is to have the best chance, it must be started
almost immediately.

Knowing this, and forgetting that this discussion is about a specific case,
why would anyone be reluctant to become CPR certified?  I am not being
sarcastic.  I am just wondering about the reason?  In reality, the skills you
learn will most likely be applied to members of your own family.

There are issues such as liability if the person you are doing CPR on dies,
then there is the Good Samaritan act to protect you if you adhere to the
requirements of the act.  If a person acts below or above his level of
training, he is not protected by the Act.

CPR and community first aid training through the American Red Cross will cost
you about $30 or so dollars.  Anyone who has had this training can tell you
that it doesn't take that long and CPR is not hard to learn.

I really am not trying to be feudal about this.  I know that CPR is not the
issue here, and that the case with this young woman is.  Maybe no one here is
reluctant to learn CPR, it's just that they are reluctant to support this
kind of training for teachers.

Can I just take this minute to plug CPR training -- please?  Even if you
can't do it yourself because of disability issues, you may be able to talk
someone else through it.  One day, a guy sitting next to you may drop from a
heart attack and if you didn't get this training, you will definitely
remember this discussion and this e-mail.

You don't want that on your mind.  You really won't want to have a memory
like that on your mind.

I'll tell you what.  I'll put my money where my mouth is ... if I am able.  I
am getting an insurance check from my Mom in the next month.  Depending on
how much that check is, I will pay for a few people on this list to take CPR
and community first aid through the ARC.  Maybe I can pay up to ten people to
do this, but let me see how much the check is first.

I went to a number of calls as a firefighter where we did CPR or people who
didn't have a chance, but there were always several people standing around
who could have started CPR if they had had that skill I'll never know for
sure, but I don't think some of those people had to die.  I am definitely
willing to do this.

Betty