AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"Library Access -- http://www.rit.edu/~easi" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 22:03:52 -0600
        My first response after reading this was,
        What a truck load of balderdash!

        Then I thought about it a little and I realized that a
mere truck couldn't haul that much balderdash.

        The beauty of a democracy is that anybody can say just about
anything they want so long as it does not involve threats to
anyone's life or safety.  I could describe how little purple men
are trying to get me to go up with them to the mother ship or
that Elvis sends his regards from beyond the grave and hopefully,
most of you would think I was just nuts or had had a bit too much
Christmas Cheer.  Now here we have this fellow, James L. Gattuso,
who is identified as a research fellow with the conservative
think tank called the Heritage Foundation.

        Strip away the high-fallutin title that sounds like it
required the sending in of at least two dozen box tops from
cigarette cartons or maybe bottles of Mad Dog 2020 and you've got
one man happy because one judge split enough hairs to win one
round of a very big argument.

        One of the things that made the United States unusual in
its beginnings was that our founding fathers wanted a society
that worked for everybody.  Even a quick study of history shows
that some of our founding fathers had a much narrower idea of who
everybody was, but enough intelligent folks caught on to what was
meant to be that we began fixing the big mistakes such as
the disenfranchisement of women and racial or ethnic minorities, etc.
The builders of our republic got some of the details wrong, but
the basic idea was so powerful and so wonderful that it
survives to this very day.

        The ADA needs a tune-up because what we have here is what
one probably should expect from shrewd litigants who desperately
don't like this law and who, for whatever reason, want to figure
out some way to look like they are not out and out breaking it.

        There are all the old musty arguments in this sampler of sloth.

>digital world, the potential damage would be considerable.

 Come on, for crying out loud.  Am I expected to believe that?

>     The Manhattan Institute's Walter Olson warns, for instance, that Web
>design creativity and spontaneity could be stunted, as publishers feel
>constrained to use only officially accepted tools.

        The problem is that most people only use
official/commercial tools and don't have the foggiest idea of
what is going on under the hood.

        But wait!  There's more.

>     Apparently an old-fashioned judge, Judge Seitz even used Latin, citing
>the doctrine of ejusdem generis: "Where general words follow a specific
>enumeration of persons or things, the general words should be limited to
>persons or things similar to those specifically enumerated." Or, as they say
>in pre-school, "one of these things is not like the other."

        And somebody probably is getting paid very handsomely to
attempt to convince me which things are not like which other things.

        Turning off the sarcasm mode, the law should be changed
to make it easier to prevent the sort of sophistry so beautifully
illustrated in Mr. Gattuso's mis-placed jubilation.

        Then there are all the horrible things that will happen
to society if the ADA is applied to information technology.

        To hear Mr. Gattuso, the Earth may be knocked off its
axis and plagues of locusts will strip the land causing 40 years
of starvation.

        I don't know where this got started, but there is this
moronic idea that somehow, when web sites are made accessible, it
immediately denies the vast majority of the public the use of an
appealing and easy-to-use service.  What's all this about
stunting creativity?  To a real technologist, problems like this
get the creative juices flowing and often-times
lead to a better solution for all.  Specifying that non scripting
browsers must be able to use the site or specifying that text
actually be sent as text, etc, should
get a good programmer to thinking and not stunt anything or
anybody.

        Sites that are built right work well for more people than
sites that are built as "best viewed when used with blah blah blah."

        The ADA must by virtue of what it does, stay away from
specific recommendations dealing with technology and lean more
toward a philosophy and mechanisms for solving problems as they
arise.

        Maybe it should simply point to a particular body of
technical knowledge that is arrived at by consensus and is
updated to reflect the state of the art.

        This would be much like safety and health standards in
which the law says we must do this or that and use X or Y as the
specification references.

        If I was King, my law would say,

        "You may do anything you like on your web site, but it
must also provide service to the following groups."

        The groups are named and the current standards are
enumerated.  "How you go about making it happen is your choice,
but it must happen."

        The law also needs to be reasonable with those who truly
are making an effort to do better and can prove that they are
trying.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group