From:
Kimberly Hartka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 05:46:07 -0800

I am once again frustrated with being a celiac and
trying to eat out.  I recently have had a problem
which I am wondering if others have experienced or had
any insights about.  I love sandwiches and recently I
have been taking my own bread with me when I go to a
sandwich shop.  When ordering I would tell the person
taking my order that I would like them to make the
sandwich on my own bread.  Most people have been very
accommodating but I have found others to not be.  One
shop told me that they would use my own bread this
once but that they would not do it again.  Another
shop completely refused even after I explained that I
needed to use my own bread for medical reasons. (The
restaurant was ViaVia in Newport, RI)  My first
question is why would they refuse to do so?  I was too
mad at the restaurant to ask, we just walked out.  Are
there Health Inspection reasons why they would refuse
to do so?  I feel that would be their only justified
reason for refusing to use my bread.  Someone
mentioned in an earlier post that they were filing a
discrimination lawsuit because of their treatment as a
celiac.  Would this act of refusing to accommodate me
be seen as discrimination under the law?  I am not
familiar enough with this law to know.  In the end, I
would just like to understand a restaurant's point of
view as well as my rights.  Thanks in advance for your
help with this matter.

Kimberly