Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 18:50:14 +0800

Thanks to all who responded.  Unfortunately, my hard-drive crashed and I
lost all my email and contact addresses but I will try to summarize from
memory.

Most people said that there shouldn't be too much of a problem eating in
restaurants if you bring your own soy sauce.  I haven't been able to
find a non-wheat soy sauce in Taichung (3rd largest city), so I won't be
able to follow that suggestion.  My great frustration here is that I
can't find the products that I buy in Canada (rice crackers and snacks,
suitable soy sauce etc) that are MADE in Taiwan but not available IN
Taiwan.

Many thanks to the woman who offered to mail me a card to show to
restaurant staff.  I won't be needing this as my wife is Taiwanese and
able to request special menus.  She requests, but there seems to be
little will to comply.

Several people said that they lived in Taiwan previously and didn't have
too many problems with the food here, as many of the dishes are rice and
vegetable based.  The thing to watch out for is the soy sauce which is
widely used and hard to avoid in restaurant fare.  My wife thinks that
many packaged products are incorrectly labeled and will often include
hidden sources of gluten.  My symptons now are not as severe as before
going gluten-free, but I don't feel as healthy as I did in Canada, so I
think that I'm consuming gluten in something.  I've tried carefully
monitoring my diet, but it seems that EVERYTHING bothers me slightly.

I appologize for this "summary" but it's the best I can do given the
circumstances.

Ross MacIver