From:
Linda Mccarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 16:47:57 -0500

Here's the responses I received.  Thanks to everyone.  It looks like I'll be
letting my daughter have Velveeta again.

15 people said they had no problem with Velveeta (didn't specify block or
slices)

3 people said they had no problem with the block of Velveeta

1 person said they used it 3 years ago and had a nasty reaction, but hasn't
tried it recently

1 person said "I sure did (canada) ... but that was about a year ago, so
things may have changed.  I'm not brave enough to try again."

1 person said "I haven't bought Velveeta for years because I thought my
son had a reaction to it but I could have been wrong."

1 person said "It is my understanding that previous to Kraft's new July 6,
2000 GF list, Velvetta was NOT GF.  However, it IS now included on that
list.  I believe that the Canadian suppliers were gf, but in the past the US
suppliers were NOT.  Velvetta's current inclusion on that list must mean
that they have changed suppliers in the US.  Kraft has taken a very firm
stance about verifying whether or not their products are gf.  If you
question them about a product that is not listed on the July 6, 2000 gf
list, they will tell you to look at the ingredient panel and make your own
decision.  Undoubtedly, they are fearful of lawsuits and do this to avoid
any possible problems.  I experienced this personally when I called to find
out the gf status of their 2% Reduced Fat American Singles.  I could only
get guesses from the representative I spoke with on the phone and asked if
it would be possible to speak with a supervisor.  The supervisor called a
couple of days later.  I reiterated my question politely and was told to
look at the ingredient panel and decide for myself.  When I stated that I
did not know what some of the ingredients were, she repeated that I would
have to look at the ingredients and decide.  She would not give a more
definitive answer, and I just decided NOT to eat that product any more.  I
DO eat the Velvetta Singles frequently and have NOT had any problems.
However, it is much SAFER to judge a product by the manufacturer's knowledge
of the gf status, rather than people's individual reactions.  Many factors
come into play when people have adverse reactions to a product, including
OTHER allergies.  If you would like to speak with a representative from
Kraft, their phone number is 1-800-634-1984."

Thanks!

Linda