From:
Sandra Lutz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 16:15:28 -0800

Thanks to all that replied to my query on a flour substitute in a recipe for
custard.  Most said cornstarch at a one to one ratio.  Also mentioned were
tapioca starch, arrowroot, standard Bette Hagman GF blend  (white rice +
tapioca + corn starch), potato starch, rice flour, soy flour, and 2 1/2 Tb.
cornstarch for 1/4 flour.  I tried the flour, but felt it changed the flavor
so I tried cornstarch and was happy with the result.  This is a recipe my
entire family loves.

The following is the recipe:

Heavenly Pie

(Crust)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
4 egg whites
3 tbsp. moist coconut

Beat egg whites until stiff.  Gradually beat in sugar and cream of tartar.
Butter 9 x 13 pan well.  Pour whites in pan, spread up sides and bottom.
Sprinkle rim with coconut.  Bake 1 hour at 275 degrees.  Cool.  Refrigerate
overnight.  Make custard.

(Custard)
2 cups milk
1/4 cup cornstarch plus 1 tbsp. cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

(Fruit)
12 oz Frozen Raspberries thawed

When custard is cool, add 1/2 pint of whipped cream.  Pour in crust and
refrigerate for 24 hours.

When ready to serve, beat in 1 pint whipped cream, sweetened (4 tablespoons
sugar and 1 tsp vanilla), and add berries.  Gently spread over crust and
custard filling.

Sandy
Pendleton, OR