Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:30:02 -0500
From:

Hi all,

I didn't get a lot of resturant ideas, but I saw someone else summarized
just after my email about resturants in Bergen County, so you can see
that one...  I got a lot more comments about my resturant card.

Resturant ideas:

You can email Outback, they will reply with a copy of their menu with a
gf next to the items that are safe.

Comments on my resturant card:

1. . . . edit your card to say any food cooked on a grill
must be cooked on tin foil, where nothing can spatter on it, or in a
clean pan, with uncontaminated utensils. . .

2. Millet, quinoa, annatto, caramel color, vinegar, flavors (except in
meat) and alcohol do not contain gluten. You presumably got this
misinformation from CSA. They are the least accurate source of celiac
info around.

3. Handing something like this to a restaurant will guarantee it will
never get read.

4. Try telling them "I'm allergic to wheat, rye, and barley. Beyond not
eating the bread, I have to worry about any of that stuff being in
sauces and marinades. What can you offer me?"

5. Accept the fact that whenever you eat out, you take a risk.

6. As far as I can tell, quinoa is GF. I've gotten a lot of info. on
it from the Quinoa Corporation In Torrance, CA. The plant is not related
to wheat & doesn't contain gluten. My son who is celiac eats a lot of
quinoa pasta, and has no reaction. Please check it out for yourself. The
pasta is really good- better than most GF pasta.

7. It looks good, although I would add croutons.

8. I like your restaurant card. It covers everything and is easy to
understand. Congratulations and thanks!!

9. I tried using a restaurant card in the beginning but I didn't
feel comfortable - does the chef really read it?  I always speak to a
manager, who I hope is going to make sure it gets done right.  I tell
them I have food allergies, severe ones, and I need to have my food
specially prepared.  I get plain things...

10. Your information for the restaurant personnel is not completely
accurate per todays research. You might want to contact Gluten
Intolerance Group (GIG) in Seattle, WA for more current information.

Gluten Intolerance Group
15110 10th Ave SW, Suite A
Seattle, WA 98166-1820

Telephone:  206-246-6652
Fax:        206-246-6531
Website:    www.gluten.net
Email:      [log in to unmask]    or    [log in to unmask]