From:
Aileen Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:15:22 -0400

I'd like to thank everyone who responded (so quickly!) to my request for
names of good GF friendly restaurants in the Fairfax/DC area.  This listserv
is certainly a wonderful resource and I certainly appreciate your help!
Here is a summary of the suggestions I received.  If I find any others while
I'm there, I'll let you know. (These are in no particular order.)

1) The Austin Grill-(Tex mex food) has a gluten free menu! check it out at
www.austingrill.com.  Located in Old Town Alexandria.

2) Red Hot and Blue restaurant-good gf wet sauce, potato salad and baked
beans. Located in Fairfax.

3) Outback steakhouse

4) The Tabbord Inn in Dupont Circle-more upscale/pricey-Kozy Korner cafe on
the same street was good too.

5) The Luna Grill on Connecticut Avenue-also upscale but relatively
inexpensive and one waitress there has CD.

6) Restaurant Nora on Florida Avenue-Great food, America's first certified
organic restaurant. Menu is about 50% gf without any alterations and they'll
modify other dishes for you.  More expensive though.  Mention the GF issue
when you make reservations. Website www.noras.com/restnora/index.shtm

7) Startdust Restaurant in Old Town Alexandria.  Kitchen manager, Avery, has
said that she is willing to do whatever she can to accomodate celiac diners.
  She has a CSA restaurant card to help guide her.

8) Occidental Grill, 1475 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW,(202) 783-1475, Very
helpful manager. He said that he can adapt just about anything on the menu.
Grilled halibut and steamed white rice were highly recommended and also
chocolate sorbet, which is gf and dairy free!  About $20 per person but well
worth it.

9)Cafe Italia II (2 recommendations for this one) in Fairfax near George
Mason.  Owner is incredible.  He will cook your pasta if you bring it.  He
keeps a package of gf pasta there because he said many of his frequenters
are GF

10) Fudruckers for burgers

11) Vietnamese restaurants-a couple in Georgetown- order spring rolls with
dipping sauce (made of fish sauce-always gf, lime juice and chili peppers).
Order entree steamed with no sauce.

12) Wendy's restaurants

13) Safeway stores-have a good gf list of store brand items (not breads but
other stuff)

14) I was told to beware of Trader Joes and try Fresh Fields instead.  Also,
there is a MOMs organic market in Rockville, MD.

Thanks again and Bon Appetite!

-Aileen
Pittsburgh, PA