From:
rick & christie schroeter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 14:40:18 -0600

My post about the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle," by Elaine
Gottschall prompted quite a few e-mails. I warned that the author of
this book states that celiac disease can be CURED after remaining on her
diet for at least one year. I feel this is dangerous misinformation
given out by someone who claims to be an expert. By the way, Elaine
Gottschall is not a physician. The degrees listed after her name are
B.A., M.Sc.  Almost all of the replies I received agreed that the book
is spreading false info. However, there were two people who thought this
diet could cure celiac disease. They seemed open to this notion. Another
said that both she and her husband were on the diet recommended in the
book and have noticed a big change (positive) in their health. But they
do not believe that celiac disease can be eliminated.

To the two people who asked, "Wouldn't it be wonderful if this were true
and we could cure it?" Yes, indeed, it would. But since this is not
proven, are you willing to risk your life to try going back to gluten
after just one year on some magic diet? Personally, I'm not.  The
"Breaking the Vicious Cycle" diet has a lot of merit, I believe, in the
fact that it stresses good, healthy foods. We should all strive for that
on a daily basis. My beef with this author is that not only once, but in
at least three sections of the book (pages 36, 52, s10) she clearly
states that "The Specific Carbohydrate Diet has been shown to completely
cure most cases of celiac disease if followed for at least one year."

I feel strongly about warning people about this book since I do not want
a newly diagnosed celiac going "off the wagon" thinking themselves
healed, only to be put back to square one..... or worse.

Christie in TX