From:
Isabel Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:16:35 -0500

Hello all!

I received about sixty messages within just a few days of posting my
question about eyelid dermatitis.  I was relieved to hear of other people
that have the same symtoms but of course, also sorry that so many people
suffer form this vague condition.

I read lots of good info, but unfortunately, not many concrete facts about
what the condition is caused by and how to relieve it.

Here are some points to consider:

* There does not appear to be a DIRECT link to gluten.  Several people
first expereinced the condition after going GF.

*Some women felt it was related to eye make-up.  However, the majority of
the respondents were male.  I'm going to go ahead and assume that most of
them do not use eye shadow or mascara.

* Some people assumed that I have DH, and that this eyelid problem is a
part of DH.  While some people who replied did have DH, most of them
didn't.  This seems to happen also to people who just have garden-variety
eczema, like me, or no other skin problems.

* A few people mentioned "blepharitis".  Blepharitis is more a "crusty"
condition that occurs along the eyelashes and is related to eyelid
hygeine.  I don't believe this is the problem that most of the people who
wrote to me described.

* Some people proposed that the eyelid dermatitis is am immunilogic
response to some sort of stressor that is hard to narrow down- I suspect
they're right.  Becasue of the large response I received, i can't help but
think that even if there is no obvious link to gluten, there is a conection
between celiac and this condition.

TREATMENT:

* People suggested cortisone ointments (which have been ineffective for
me , personally), calundula ointment, dapsone and other prescription
drugs.  Other than that, most of the people that wrote me continue to
suffer outbreaks and have no sure fire way to prevent or treat it.

* One person suggested that supplemental vitamin B2 and B6 helps.  This in
b/c vitamin B is directly related to eye health and is primarily found in
grains.  If anyone is currently taking supplemental vitamin B 2 &6 and
still has eye flare ups, please respond so we can rule out this treatment.
Otherwise, I am going to try this treatment.  This may be the possible
answer.

* I am an outdoor educator and sailor.  The only time that I have not
experienced an eyelid explosion in the past year has been when I am at
sea.  Might I suggest that everyone try to get as much salt water and salt
air as possible?

Thanks for your resonses and support!

Cheers and happy holidays,
Lots of love,