Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 19:58:21 -0800

The initial request was for a plain yellow GF mustard after I started
having problems with French's.

After looking at all the replies Plochman's is the winner hands down.
I'll have to search for this at the grocery store.

Other helpful suggestions included:

Walmart Great Value brand

-------------------------------------

Could it be that all prepared mustard would bother you? It may be the
vinegar in it even though they say it is g/f.  Try to locate dry
mustard and mix yourself.

-------------------------------------

If you have type A or type O blood, you are reacting to the vinegar in
the mustard, regardless of whether it is GF or not. According to Eat
Right 4 Your Type by Dr. D'Adamo, vinegar irratates the stomach of
persons with this blood type. Until I read this book I didn't know why
I reacted to mustard, mayonaise, etc. that was GF. Type AB should avoid
white vinegar and limit consumption of other vinegars. All vinegars are
neutral for type B.

-------------------------------------

If you have candida, it could be the vinegar in the mustard that is
bothering you, it bothers me.

-------------------------------------

It could always be mustard itself.  Mustard is a good emetic and gi
irritant when used straight, with celiac disease you may just be more
sensitive to it.  I know on the few occassions I have been up all night
with an upset stomach (to put it gently)  each time I had some mustard
in my meal.

-------------------------------------

you might try sprinkling a little dry mustard on whatever you are
making and see how you like that?  Just a little

-------------------------------------

do you also react to canola oil?  Both are from the same family so it
could be the plant lectins.  If so, changing brands wouldn't help.

-------------------------------------

I wonder if there is something else in the mustard that you are
sensitive to?

Are you sure it was the mustard you reacted to?  Was it possible it was
contaminated by crumbs from something/someone else? << We always use a
fresh bottle for my items then use whatever is left after fixing GF
goods for the non GF stuff.  Definitely something for all of us to think
about over the holidays though. --angie>>

-------------------------------------

I find mustard irritating in general.  Perhaps it just doesn't agree
with you.

-------------------------------------

Recipe from a Penzey's spice catalogue - that's where I got the mustard
seed, too.

1 cup mustard powder, 3 fl. oz vinegar, 3 fl. oz water, (1/2 tsp. salt
and 1 Tb honey - which I leave out for my own taste)   pack it in a
glass jar and, unless you like very hot mustard, forget about it for
six weeks or so.

-------------------------------------

You may be reacting to something else in the French's mustard, or even
be sensitive to mustard spice itself. I don't know of any other plain
yellow mustard that is safe, although Gulden's brown mustard and
Poupon's Dijon mustards are both on the safe lists.

You could try making your own mustard. Buy McCormick/Schillings or
another GF brand of dry powdered mustard and mix with water until it
forms a paste. (Avoid Colman's dry mustard; it has flour in it, in the
USA, although not in the UK, the last that I heard.) To be 100% sure,
you can buy mustard seeds and grind your own dry mustard in a coffee or
spice mill, then blend with water.

-------------------------------------

One person asked me to summarize as she was told mustard seed was bad
for Celiacs.  As far as I know only prepared mustards and mustard
powder can be a problem.  Mustard powder because it can be mixed with
wheat flour to keep it from clumping, and prepared mustards for various
reasons including vinegar source.

Penzey's (http://www.penzeys.com) offers GF mustard powder as does
McCormick/Schilling.

The mustard plant is an annual and part of the Brassicaceae or
Cruciferae family (http://www.iversonsoftware.com/business/plant/Mustard.
htm).

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Angie (los angeles)