From:
Andrea Otken-Dennis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:12:19 -0500

hello fellow list-mates,

I just wanted to share some information about my trials with Betty
Crocker.

Honestly, I don't remember why I wrote to them in the first place...but
I did...boy do I regret it..

Up until this point, companies had been very congenial and very willing
to help, answer questions, whatever...but they've taken the cake...(no
pun intended)...

Here is the first email that they sent back to me...

My original request was for a listing of GF products that they produce.

Dear Ms. Otken-Dennis:

Thank you for contacting General Mills regarding gluten in General
Mills.

Our primary goal is to provide accurate information, and we believe this
is best accomplished by referring to the specific ingredients listed on
each product package.  Look at the ingredient label for wheat, barley,
rye, or other sources of gluten.  If you don't see any of these listed,
then the product would be gluten-free; as are our current formulations
of yogurt products.  This is the most current information for your needs.

Additional information regarding gluten may be obtained by contacting
your health care professional or:

Celiac Sprue Association/United States of America, Inc.
PO Box 31700
Omaha, NE  68131-0700
402-558-0600
www.csaceliacs.org

We hope this information is helpful.

After letting this sit in my inbox for months...I decided to write
back....

I wanted to let you know that you're providing a lot of misinformation,
as nicely as possible.

I have contacted the company before about products that had no gluten-
containing ingredients or hidden ingredients and was told that the
products were not safe for celiacs to consume. The statement that you're
giving about "look at the ingredient label" is not accurate.

Might I suggest that your company produce a full listing of gluten free
products so that there's not so much guess work on your part as well as
mine.

Now, this was as nicely as I could put...Hey, your little lame-o
statement is no good..because if I do this, and rely on your lovely
labelling..I'm contaminating myself and my kids with poison that could
eventually kill us all!

And I received a response...

Thank you for your reply.  I appreciate the opportunity to provide you
with more information why we no longer provide a list of gluten free
products.

We feel that the current packaging label provides the most accurate
source for ingredient information because products may be reformulated
and ingredient labels change.  Therefore, we feel it is important to
read the ingredient listing every time it is purchased to assure that
person with sensitivities can still enjoy the product.

Please feel free to call week days, at 1-800-328-1144, CST 7:30 A.M. -
5:30 P.M. if we can be of further assistance.

I would like to know if ANYBODY has received anything at all helpful
from them..and if you get the runaround like this from a company..what
do you do?

Boycott their products?
complain to someone higher up in the company?
Find a lawyer?

I'm really frustrated here..

The truth of the matter is that it wouldn't be so bad if they would
say..well, you know what? we won't guarantee anything...sorry...but
they're saying read the labels....which aren't accurate.. even though
I've become somewhat of an amateur chemist since going GF...how in the
world am I supposed to know if they dust their lines, if it's not on the
package..or whatever????

Also, I can't think of any products that I haven't found a replacement
for (frostings, fruit snacks etc..so it really doesn't matter)...it's
still VERY irritating..what a cop-out!

truly frustrated...and if you read this far, you get a HUGE pat on the
back from me..

Andrea