From:
Patricia Vigneau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 16:19:23 -0400

Many thanks to ALL who responded to my first post. I also apologize for
listing the wrong address for the site on GF Inns. The correct address
is www.1-888-inn-seek.com . (I am not affiliated with this site!)
Although nobody had tried using this site, many welcomed the info for
future reference. One response said they had never had a problem staying
at any Inns, and that InnKeepers are usually accomodating.

How long does it take for this diet to become second nature?

Not until you start cooking for yourself. It's not so bad after you get
used to it. You have to get all the flours bought and other specialty
items to keep on hand that you need for most recipes.

It took about six months.

I just found out 9 months ago and am still having diet problems. I do
pretty well at home, but dining out time is a problem. My main problem
is catching all the little things that contain gluten that sneak into
foods I believe to be GF.

You probably don't want to hear this, but after 20 years I'm still
struggling with it!

This diet takes a while to kick in before you feel better. It never is
easy to eat out. I am on this diet 27 years and am still learning.

It takes about 3 months to get the hang of this diet then you have to
keep working on refining it from now on.  But it gets much, much easier
as you go along.

Six months were spent adjusting or searching for recipes that I could
cook at home, the last 6 months how I can adapt to going out to eat and
going on long trips.

It always takes some effort. But it gets easier as you learn all the
sneaky hiding places that gluten traps await you.

HOW DO YOU KEEP FROM LOSING WEIGHT?

I gained 10 lbs the first year so I don't think you need to worry about
not gaining weight. It should go up in no time.

I have not had a weight loss problem (probably because I still have my
dish of ice cream at night!)

I went from a bloated 130 to 119 within 5 weeks of going GF. I was
worried that it wouldn't stop, but it did, and I am back up to 121.

I lost 5 pounds the first month but I have now gained them back.

You will lose weight and keep your weight down if you stay off all of
the junk of the "normal" american diet. If you want to gain weight and
stay GF, you can eat nuts and nut butters for added pounds. I lost 15
lbs when I went GF and I like the lower weight. I don't have to work at
keeping off either.

I lost weight at first, then started gaining again. I guess when I
started to heal and food digested again.

ARE THERE ANY CHINESE FOODS THAT ARE GF?

(Sorry, only 2 replies to this question, but MANY requests for the
summary. MORE INFO on this subject is welcomed!)

I would get all chinese foods steamed.  If you do find out that there
are some sauces that are gf, such as a white garlic sauce, please let me
know.  It's sometimes hard to communicate at restaurants, so I just
avoid it.  I assume all sauces mostly have flour or soy sauce.....Please
summarize about the chinese food.

Several of their dishes are GF, if you ask them to leave out the soy
sauce (almost all it has wheat) and MSG, much of which may have gluten.
Moo Goo Gaipan is often a safe choice if they leave that stuff out.  But
Thai food is a much better bet.  They use very little wheat or flour in
their cooking, but still ask about the soy sauce and the MSG.  Food from
India is also a good bet.  Many indian restaurants will have wheat on in
their "Nan", the bread.

IS THERE A GOOD SANDWICH BREAD OR RECIPE FOR ONE?

I'd say that most of us buy either Ener-G's tapioca loaf (it's pretty
good if toasted), or Nature's something or other nut bread.  Each is
good in a different way.

My favorite bread recipe is for "Cornstarch Bread", p. 92 in Bette
Hagman's "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy".

I am a big fan of the Gluten Free Pantry's Favorite Sandwich Bread mix
for the bread machine.  For pizza crust and cheese flavored pita bread,
I use Chebe bread mix.

If you like dessert type breads, Gluten Free Pantry has a Cranberry
Orange bread mix (add nuts) that is good and an oreo-type cookie that is
good.

I bought Ener G Foods bread until I learned how to use my bread machine.
 Others like the oven.

I think that the best-tasting commercial bread is Ener G white rice
bread.  If you keep it frozen, it will last quite a while. Just take it
out of the freezer and put in the mivrowave for 30 seconds, then toast
until brown. It makes good sandwiches and is great for toast.

Search the archives for messages 6254.1 through 6254.7 and msg 6063.27
through 6063.56.  You'll find the best sandwich bread recipes.

2 replies included personal recipes.

Thanks to ALL who responded, and to those who shared their own beginning
experiences with CD, your ups and downs and thoughts of encouragement.
It's nice to know that I am NOT alone in this!  Again, many thanks!
Pat V. in NJ