VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Bundy, Keith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bundy, Keith
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:21:13 -0600
Please excuse the cross-post.

the following was referred to me, and I don't know what the problem would
be, either.  Any help would be appreciated.

Smart? tags--really dumb!

Hi.

Can someone help me figure out a couple of problems I'm having with word 8
(in XP) and JFW 4.0?

I just got these two new programs yesteday, along with a couple of others,
and, right away noticed about 4 problems.  With help, got a couple resolved,
but still having a couple more.

What are these supposed "smart" tags?

Thyreally disrupt the reading of previously written documents or ones which
are in the process of being composed?

How can one turn them off once and for all, so you don't have to worry about
it each time you encounter one?  I know about alt + ctrl + S, but, that
seems
to be for each occurance.

Also, having considerable problems reading text of previously composed
documents.

These are literally hundreds of documents I copied from my old computer,
which I composed with windows 95, word 6.0-7.0, (from office '97) and when I
open
them up in my new system, I can read them with the "say all" command, but
not line by line or word by word with arrow keys.  Neither will the jaws
cursor
read them.

For example, many documents are invoices or logs (done in word-nothing
fancy.)

I might have the date right alined, then a title centered, then all the rest
of the text on the left margin.  I can read line by line the first two
things,
but nothing else.

I looked at another document, which was several entries of addresses, etc,
some line under line, and some just liniar.  A sighted person looked at the
document
and saw things like the second line under the menu bar saying stuff about
the faunt and style. Sometimes there were things like "normal + right" or
header
1, header 2, etc.

As

 Soon as we'd make almost any kind of change, the document could be read
line by line or word by word, but as soon as we'd save and reopen, we were
back
to square one.

Reading with "say all" is fine, but not being able to read line by line, etc
makes it vertually impossible for a VIP to do any kind of editing.

HELP!

Keith Bundy
Director of Student Development
Dakota State University