Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 17:32:14 -0500
on 1/29/01 10:32 AM, Todd Moody at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> pig fat also figures large in the cuisines of two
> population groups noted for longevity--Soviet Georgia and
> Vilcabamba in Ecuador. A survey of the Chinese diet
> conducted in 1977 found that 65 percent of calories in
> the average Chinese diet came from pork--which means that
> foods were cooked in lard.

I think one has to consider the life of the pig. My background is
Hungarian and what I saw and know of the lard used there is a completely
different product than anything found here. (USA)
The animals have their stalls on the same property as the homestead.
The vegetables and fruits grown for the family consumption are also
fed to the pigs. The hogs are well cared for and often loved.
When it is time to slaughter the animal, all parts are used, sausage
is made, celebrations are held.
The lard itself is soft, golden with a warm meaty taste.
Commercial lard here is hard, white and smells like ofal.

So I believe poor living conditions, poor emotional conditions
 (yes, I think pigs and animals feel...) just as fear and sadness
and other factors can make humans smell bad, and affect tissues.
The biggest factor is the feed. Natural organic food vs. commercial
*?*
I was fortunate enough in the last few years to experience both sides
 of raising hogs, the old and young generations way of doing things.
The new way feeds the hogs *vam* to fatten them faster,
so they can cash in quicker.
The pork was greasier, less taste, and smelled bad, not as bad as some
in this country, but bad enough.
The old way produced leaner meat with much better taste.

On a side note: After coming home to the States, I was sickened by all
meats, especially pork and chicken until my body adjusted again to all
the chemicals and who knows what in the product.
Andrea