From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 01:15:08 -0600
From: Norm Skrzypinski
> > Grass fed animals, including pasture raised poultry and birds/eggs,
would
>> be ideal then.  We should move our agriculture economy in that direction.
>
> Ground fed plants, including pasture raised leaves, roots, berries,
> tree-fruits and nuts, would be ideal then.  We should move our agriculture
> economy in that direction. Norm

Pastureland is by definition that 2/3 of the Earth's agricultural land that
is unsuitable for growing more profitable vegetable crops.
80% of the world's biomass ( living things by weight) has only been
discovered in the last 25 years.  As almost all of this is contained in the
darkness of the mid-ocean depths ( 500 to 1500 feet down) it is almost all
animal life.  More calories from these animals fall to the Ocean floor (to
eventually form sedimentary rock) than all the calories from any source
consumed by humans and their domestic animals.

Modifying pastures to grow the vegetable crops you list would be expensive
both in monetary and ecological costs.   Perhaps it would be better to use
up (far) future Limestone reserves rather than sacrifice precious topsoil
and entire species of herbivores to your scheme.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin"
http://www.neanderthin.com