From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:28:34 -0800
> >When you say aerobic exercise, are you including
> high intensity interval
> >sprints.  I thought that interval training could
> build muscle and increase
> >fat loss.
>

> Could be, but I would think leg extensions followed
> immediately by machine
> hack squates would be better.
>
> Philip Thrift
> http://www.paleofitness.com

Depends on your goals, I think. If you want to get
better at sprints, then do sprints. If you want to get
better at lifting weights, then lift weights...

I just read an interesting perspecive regarding the
high intensity exercise vs. low intensity exercise
debate (which seems to come up periodically). The
author made a few points which I think apply here.

First, regarding 1 set vs. multiple sets - it's
possible that the multi-set protocol may be useful for
someone who is training for an event that requires
multiple short bursts of strength (e.g - football,
wrestling). These events depend less on *total*
strength, but more on *endurance* strength (stamina).
In other words, in football you're not going to block
an opponent once and be done with it - you have to
block him over and over again.

Second, lower intensity exercise is probably more
useful for preparing an individual to handle the
fatigue that sets in at the end of a game or match.
Scrimmaging has it's place in the scheme of things,
just as pure strength training does.

So, do whatever exercise is most appropriate for your
goals. I don't think walking would be very useful to
prepare for rock climbing, but it would be great to
prepare you for backpacking.

(Sorry if it seems I am stating the obvious here, but
it seems to me that folks get so caught up in
generalizations nowadays).