C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jennifer Lahiff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:14:50 EST
A cure for CP?...hmmmm?..it's quite strange for you to bring that up, because
for a long time., all I ever wanted to do was be physical as possible...with
no pain..no fatique..I too, in high school, wanted to be a dancer...i saw
girls everyday in the halls running to go to dance class (my h.s had a
wonderful fine and performing arts program)..i was mad...i wanted to
dance,.all the emotions and gracefulness that it has...i yearned for it and
for two years i tortured myself, thinking "why can't i dance?"
then something happened...
i decided instead of feeling sorry for myself (which i was getting great
at!)..i would talk to the instructor and counselors to see what, if anything,
could be done about it..
their first suggestion was to have a dance class that only had wheelchair
participants.,.well, since there was myself and one other girl of 2000
students, .....that wasn't an option
then the instructor suggested that i help choreograph the dances, recitals,
and school productions...i was thrilled!!!!!...even though i couldn't
dance...i helped the others that could...do it as beautifully as possible
after high school...i found that i didn't want to go further with it
but damnit..i had fun
we can't do some things
but we can improvise!!!!!
~sorry the post was so long~