VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Clive Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Clive Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:03:10 +0100
Hi List,

I know that , in the States, there are navigation aids, built around GPS
(Global Positioning System), that have been either adapted or
purpose-designed for use by Blind or partially-sighted individuals to aid
them in getting around cities etc.

GPS has been over in the UK for some 8 years now, but only in equipment
relying on a visual display and mostly for sailors and people navigating in
wilderness areas.

I am a keen sailor and wonder if any of you are aware of any company(s) who
are producing/reselling GPS equipment that I, as a totally blind sailor,
could use aboard a boat?

Hope someone has some info...

Clive S.