VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Seymour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Seymour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 06:43:24 -0700
The below posting was a good article about the next generation of NLS
(National Library Service) book players. But "era" would be a better word
than "generation, since the cassette players that they still send out look
like they were designed by Fisher Price in the mid 1950s.

If they think that they can come up with a design that will last for the
next 50 years, they are wrong. While switching to a digitally based format
is a must, the playback technology will continue to evolve rapidly and the
NLS should be prepared to go with the flow.

Reading needs, either for different users or different reading materials,
will range from simply listening to an audio recording of a voice, to
having access to the source text, for example, to check spellings of names,
page numbers, footnotes, etc., in the print editions for academic purposes.

Instantaneous advancing from paragraph to paragraph, page to page, and
chapter to chapter, in addition to the ability to speed up or slow down the
reading rates without altering the speech quality will be technologically
feasible and very useful for just about everybody.

A future innovation might allow the reader to have simultaneous access to
both the speech and text. That is, while listening to a reader's voice, the
reader could press a button and get the spelling and page number of a
particular word that was just heard. Also, the ability to insert bookmarks
at desired passages, and even to cut and paste text for research purposes
would greatly speed up the blind or dyslexic scholar.

Let's hope that the NLS gets flexible and future-oriented. My concern is
that they will simplify the units for the largest visually impaired
demographic, the elderly, who tend to shy away from complex technologies
and  have mobility issues. My dread is that the playback unit of the future
will be simplified down to four big buttons, ideal for the arthritic
grandmother whose most demanding reading need will be The Joy of Cooking.

Peter Seymour