VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jay Leventhal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Leventhal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 08:47:39 -0400
This emessage is divided into three parts:
   1) The Date and Time of VICUG NYC's Next Meeting
   2) Upcoming VICUG NYC Meeting Dates for 2001
   3) About VICUG NYC's General Membership Meetings

Part 1. The Date and Time of VICUG NYC's Next Meeting

VICUG NYC's next General Membership Meeting will be held in the
Board room of Selis Manor on Tuesday, October 9th from 6:30
to 8 PM.

This month's topic is Buying a Computer. The speaker is VICUG-NYC member
Peter Mikochik. Peter last spoke to us during a holiday party. We were
rather busy eating and drinking, and most of us did not take notes. The
Executive Committee decided to bring Peter back and we promise to listen
and learn this time.

You will also be treated to nominations for all the positions on the
VICUG-NYC Executive Committee.

Our November meeting will feature the rescheduled presentation on Digital
Talking Books. Luis Gutierez of the American Foundation for  the Blind's
Talking Book department and I will discuss and demonstrate the Talking
Books of the future. We will answer these questions:

What are Digital Talking Books? How do they differ from mainstream
electronic books, and what does the DAISY Consortium stand for? How many
books are available in this format, and what are the most useful features?

We will also demonstrate a stand-alone player and a software player.

Mark your calendars.

And, remember, if you have a suggestion for a future presentation,
please either fill out the survey, located at:
     http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/survey.html
or email the <[log in to unmask]> list directly, and let us know!

Part 2. Upcoming VICUG NYC Meeting Dates for 2001

     November Thirteenth
     December Eleventh

Part 3. About VICUG NYC's General Membership Meetings

VICUG NYC meets on the second Tuesday of every month (except August)
in the Selis Manor building, from 6:30 to 8 pm.
Selis Manor is located at 135 West Twenty-Third Street, between Sixth
and Seventh Avenues, in New York City. If you have any questions about
subway lines and bus stops in the vicinity of Selis Manor, please
consult the hypertextualized directions located at:
     http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/directions.html
or leave a voice message on the VICUG NYC HotLine (212) 714-4967,
requesting specific information (including a starting point and phone
number) and someone will get back to you.

For more information about VICUG NYC and its activities, please visit
VICUG NYC's web site, which is located at:
     http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/

You can keep up-to-date with VICUG NYC's activities by monitoring the
Meetings, Schedules, & Minutes page, which is located at:
     http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/schedule.html

Or, you can always call the VICUG NYC Hotline at (212) 714-4967.