VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 08:53:55 -0400
And what happens to people like me.  Because of albinism, I don't and can't
open my eyes wide.  And what happens to people who have artificial eyes.  I
guess there will still have to be some human ticket agents around.

Jan Knuth

>===== Original Message From Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]> =====
>What happens when all the ticket counters go away?
>
>Kelly
>

>The New York Times
>
>August 5, 2001
>
>Airlines Are Clearing a Nonstop Path to the Plane
>
>By AILEEN CHO
>
>At Baltimore-Washington International Airport, about 30 aviation industry
>designers and contractors gathered recently to exchange ideas on how to
>manage
>expansion plans at their home airports.
>
>Discussions of terminal design, rail connections and the best flooring
>for automated walkways took up much of the time. Then a vendor from a
>company called
>the Eye Ticket Corporation rose to explain a new product that caught
>everyone's attention: an optical security device that identifies
>passengers by scanning
>their eyeballs.
>
>For William Fife, aviation director at DMJM & Harris, an engineering and
>design company, it was a defining moment.
>
>"If you thought about half of these things five years ago, they would
>have committed you," said Mr. Fife, who has been in the airport
>construction management
>business for 30 years. "Technology is happening so rapidly, you can't
>keep up with it."
>
>>From optical scanning ID to boarding passes printed at home, airports and
>airlines are working on ways to minimize the bottlenecks for passengers
>before
>they board the airplane.
>
>Buying a ticket over the Internet, a novelty just a few years ago, is now
>routine for many travelers. Some airlines are moving toward complete
>automation
>of ticketing and baggage check-in - eliminating the ticket counters that
>have been a basic part of airport architecture since commercial aviation
>began.
>Others are paging passengers automatically through wireless technology -
>even before they arrive at the airport - to alert them of flight delays
>or cancellations.
>
>"All the airlines are working on a bunch of initiatives intended to
>reduce the number of times you have to interface with an agent," said
>Ginger Evans,
>vice president of Carter & Burgess, a design engineering firm in Fort
>Worth. "They call it `giving time back to the passenger.' "
>
>The technological advances coincide with major expansions at many
>airports - more terminal lounges, people movers, parking lots and access
>roads - to handle
>the crowding on the ground that has come with the crowding in the skies.
>
>Even in a weakening economy, the air traffic has been rising. More than
>715 million paying passengers are expected to board planes in the United
>States
>this year, a 3.1 percent increase over last year, Federal Aviation
> [...]

Janice L. Knuth, MSW, LSW
Training Coordinator
Pennsylvania's Initiative on Assistive Technology
Institute on Disabilities
Temple University
1301 Cecil B. Moore Ave., 423 RA
Philadelphia, PA 19122