VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Karyl Loux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karyl Loux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 20:47:46 -0400
A few days ago, my boss told me that he doesn't forward things to me.  He
uses Eudora, and he uses the redirect feature rather than the forward
feature.  This allows him to send me things without all of the greater than
signs at the beginning of each line.  Wow, I thought that was cool, but I
now use Outlook Express and couldn't find a redirect feature.  I continued
looking and I found that I could choose to have or not have the greater than
signs on either email or newsgroups that I wanted to forward.  This was
wonderful.  I have many things I send on to folks without vision that use
screen readers.  I no longer have to take the time to clean out those
greater than signs, as a gesture of courtesy because they aren't even there.
If all of us would do the same, it would be a benefit to our audience.  In
Outlook Express, you go to the Tools menu, the Options sub-menu, then the
send tab.  At the bottom of the send tab's dialog box is 2 areas one for
mail sending, the other for news sending.  Each has a button for HTML and
Plain Text.  Activate each of the buttons, which will bring up dialog boxes
with several choices.  At the bottom of these dialog boxes are check boxes
that activate the greater than symbols on forwarded messages.  Just unselect
these boxes, and you are finished with your share of the long list of
greater thans in forwarded messages.  What a relief.  If we all did this,
our screen reader colleagues would have a better time of it.

Karyl