VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
gibddt11 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 13 May 2000 20:49:29 -0500
Although I am blind and do not need the NFB to speak for me, I do see some
sense in Dan's point. The problem isn't the blind needing a toilet of their
own, but rather all the sighted people who make public toilets into
cesspools. There are many times where I will avoid using a public restroom
simply because I don't want my dog walking around or lying down in urine. It
strikes me as sad, but ironic that my four footed assistant has better
toilet habits than many people.

Dan's comments clearly bring out the difference between disabled and
handicapped. Disabled means simply that you cannot do something that is
considered a normal and necessary function, like seeing. A handicap is a
condition that is imposed (willingly in golf, unwillingly with disabilities)
that prevents you from doing something. Now personally, I don't mind not
being allowed to drive, since without my eyes I could very well kill
someone. It is not my right to do that. However, to tell me that I cannot do
something because it is too expensive is the height of hypocrisy. Do you
know what a doctoral degree costs a student, sighted or otherwise? There are
CARS that cost more than my first house did on the road right now, and
someone may sweat a $2,500 computer and Kurzweil reading system? Those
$40,000 cars can be totalled by a $200 Yugo, but the only thing that can
total a blind person is another person (who will most likely be sighted and
who drove himself to work) who thinks that it is his right to decide the
rights of the blind.

That is where the discrimination comes in. The rights of the disabled are
decided by those who are disabled only by their own arrogance. The point is
that we will not have what is rightfully ours unless we show two things. The
first is that we are able to overcome the problems caused by our disability
the same way that an abled person deals with their own problems. Secondly,
our rights are not a gift given by some individual who thinks that rights
are his to dispense as he sees fit. We are coming up on Memorial Day, where
those who fought to maintain our rights are remembered for their sacrifices.
They did not die for people who are not blind, not deaf, or not wheelchair
users. I benefit from what they did, and it is not the job of anyone to
abridge those rights without due process.

Decide for yourself whether you are or can be enabled, but don't let anyone
handicap you!

Gary Drennan
and Gage, the Wonder Dog