VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Dekker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Dekker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 09:57:25 -0500
Hi folks,

Below, you will find my response to a very positive letter from Matt King at IBM, which was posted to the VICUG-L list.  Maybe we'll get an accessible survey form from IBM yet eh?

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your letter, which made me feel a lot better about this business.  You're correct in that there was no specific mention of people with disabilities, but you think the authors of this form would have realized that input from disabled people would be of particular interest to IBM and that the form should have been designed to afford them the opportunity in the most expeditious way possible.  Anyway, I'm glad you are looking into this and sure hope it results in a form we can use.

As is the case with lots of folks on these lists, I am very much interested in the maximum level of access to emerging communications technologies as can be achieved.  Therefore, I am always interested in having input whenever the opportunity presents itself.

I feel that all of us should take advantage of such opportunities.  First of all, we need to let the mainstream know that we're not only out there, but also working damned hard to become as well-informed as possible concerning technology and how we can make use of it.  Second, if we don't take these opportunities or insist on having input, it becomes that much easier for the mainstream to sluff us off, saying "Well see, we asked for input and didn't really get much response, so that proves the demand isn't really there, etc., etc., etc."

While I appreciate Mr. Smith's good intention in trying to deal with the situation, I was somewhat miffed by the "can't promise anything" bit.  It sure didn't bode well for IBM's traditional reputation of producing innovative products for blind people, all the way from the Audio Typing Unit back in the '70's, to Home Page Reader now.  Anyway, thanks again for your effort at getting this resolved.  Please be sure to let us know when there's a speech-friendly form that we can complete.

Regards,

Tom Dekker