VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Verhoeven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Verhoeven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:34:05 +0100
Dear list members,

Some weeks ago I asked you "do you read newsgroup".
A lot of you did reply to that message and it seems that some of you read
newsgroups, some of you do it sometimes and most of you do not read them.

As I told you in that message, there are a lot of e-mail based listings
dedicated to visually impaired people, but there is less information
available on usenet. It seems that there is no  accessibility problem to
Computers and Internet at all for the broad community.

Some of the postings done in the (Equal Access to Software and Information
(easi) e-mail listing apear in the bit.listserv.easi newsgroup, but it
seems to me that only posts from some authorised people are posted there.
Most post in that e-mail listing are not visible on usenet.

There is also a newsgroup alt.comp.blind-users but not all people who have
special accessibility problems with computers and the Internet are blind
and somebody who has partial vision will never get the idea to look there
for information.

That is the reason that we with success propose alt.comp.accessibility
where all information about this topic can be posted and read and where
vendors can announce new products or new releases.
The newsgroup is unmoderated open to anybody and this time it is already
available on most news servers.

If it is not already available send a message to the news administrator of
your news server at news@(isp) where ISP is the name of your provider. For
example if your ISP is aol send a message to [log in to unmask] and aks them to
include the alt.comp.accessibility newsgroup.

If you have information that is not only interesting for the list you
subscribed on, but also for the broad comminity, please also cross post
your information in this new newsgroup.

Newsgroups are spidered by major search engines and therefore articles are
much easier to find by people who are not subscribed on e-mail listings.

By the way. If someone knows of any Windows News client better than the one
included and Netscape and better than Outlook Express, please let me know?

Regards Peter Verhoeven
Internet : http://www.magnifiers.org (The Screen Magnifiers Homepage)