From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 09:08:50 -0500
On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Philip Thrift wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 07:34:05 -0500, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> >Second,
> >Neanderthin pretty much endorses the view that cholesterol levels
> >are linked to heart disease, a view that Enig does not accept.
>
> I didn't read exactly this -- e.g. the "no definite connection"
> comments on pages 187,188 (paperback edition).

Ah, I was working from the previous edition, in which we read,
"Practicing Neanderthin has been shown to improve blood
cholesterol ratios (LDL/HDL and Total Cholesterol/HDL)." (p. 112,
old edition)  The use of the word "improved" implies an
endorsement of the theory that these ratios are significant.
Also, on p. 54 (again, old edition), we read, "The urban
hunter-gatherer may actually find that he is eating less
saturated fat than before," and "[Neanderthin] turns out to be
equal to or lower in fat than the average American diet." (p.
111) It's not clear whether these are supposed to be advantages
of Neanderthin over the average American diet or not.  Anyway,
the impression one gets from the old edition is that there is
some reason to be interested in cholesterol levels, that they can
be "improved", and that Neanderthin will do this.  I don't know
how the new edition handles this.

In any case, Enig is fairly unforgiving in her "thumbs down"
choices, so I suspect Neanderthin's condemnation of dairy would
still earn it that distinction.

Todd Moody