From:
judy genova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 21:26:21 -0500
Stacie:

Perhaps its the presentation of certain fats thats problematic for  Zoe.   I
have an enormous capacity for eating fat.  However, I can not digest pork
fat, or any type of greasy sausage type of meat.  I do well with raw almond
butter, but not roasted.  Some cookbooks advise slightly heating olive oil
before dressing a salad, so as to make it more "digestible". Maybe you just
have to experiment, and check her after different combinations of foods you
present, to see which she tolerates.  I think the digestive bitters are a
great idea, as well as enzymes.  Maybe go with not adding any additional
fat, and let her get her fats from things like soft boiled eggs, or egg drop
soup.  Maybe she needs more well cooked foods like meat stews or soup broths
until her body produces more enzymes. Cooking a piece of ginger in broths is
a wonderful way to stimulate digestive enzymes. These dishes are more
warming. Raw and cold foods, in general, place more strain on the spleen, in
Chinese theory.   Raw salads with raw oil may be too "damp" or cooling for a
young one's system.  In Chinese theory, if the spleen is weak, then
digestion becomes inefficient, so foods sort of putrify in the stomach
chamber......Fattier, rich foods such as   raw oils, coconut milk  and nuts
and  can be  taxing to the system. ESPECIALLY THE LIVER!!! Undigested foods
lead to lots of mucous and respiratory congestion, which the Chinese
classify as DAMPNESS... Sort of like a woodstove that burns damp wood, and
sends creosote deposits up into the chimney pipe.....only in human terms,
the creosite is phlegm (sorry for the crude analogy, but I've always liked
that one..)  Children's digestion is much more sensitive than adults.
Especially if they've had antibiotics.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Judy Genova