From:
Possum Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 23:32:13 -0800
Dori Zook wrote:
>In short, there's a USDA program that gives out food products to low-income
Native Americans.  You may be aware that type II diabetes has hit Native
americans harder than any other ethnic group in America.  We all know why;
they only recently switched from the diet of thier heritage to the SAD.
> From www.fns.usda.gov/fdd/MENU/SCHOOLS/INDIAN/fdpirfaq.htm
<SNIP>
The food package was updated in 1997, through a cooperative effort   of
tribal program managers, elected tribal officials, USDA nutritionists, and
other experts on Native American health and nutrition.
<SNIP>
> "For example, the percentage of calories from fat was significantly
reduced, and the number of servings was increased in the vegetable
andbread/cereal/rice/pasta categories of the USDA Food Guide Pyramid."
> "These changes are important because many Native Americans have
diet-related health conditions, such as obesity, diabetes, and heart
disease."

OK Here is a post from  a Mountain Man email list I am on:

Hi Hardtack,  my Crow friends still eat buffalo marrow on a regular
basis.But use it as a form of food in and of itself.  A typical Crow old
time traditional meal is dried buffalo meat, pemmican and marrow along with
dried berries.

This does not sound quite like the diet the government is trying to kill off
more Indians with! When will the Native American tribes learn NOT to trust
the federal government, EVER? It amazes me how quickly we forgot about the
smallpox infected blankets the government gave the Native American tribes
one year "To help the poor Indians stay warm" When the real reason was to
exterminate them! The government KNOWS the food they are giving out to the
Indians will kill them. The USDA WANTS the Indians to "kill themselves with
a fork and a spoon".

Kevin Raper
Piedmont, SC