NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:11:23 -0500
>I feel it is important to point out, especially to people newly dealing
>with food allergy issues, that it is not a wise idea to perform your own
>"skin tests."  I would never think of rubbing milk on my child's face!
>  She reacts with anaphylaxis to milk on skin contact.  This is a test
>for a medical professional!

As the person who originally mentioned the "skin test, " the above is an
excellent clarification.  I never meant it to seem that I was reaaly doing
a skin test, just that my son has never been anaphylactic and it is a good
way for me to see if he is really still dairy sensitive and if the ghee has
ever been a problem.  His dairy allergy has improved a lot over the years.

>He has been eating a lot of homemade popsicles (using
>Kool-Aid and Jell-o).  The Jell-o lists both 'artificial' and 'natural'
>flavors in the ingredient list.  Does anyone know if these flavors
>are really dairy?

Something that took us 9 years to figure out is that our son is allergic to
red food coloring (causes asthma).  I have a friend whose daughter is
allergic to the yellow food coloring and I have read about
others.  Unfortunately most people don't think about this.  Please
beware.  Our son's asthma is much better without any food coloring.  We
only eat organic natural foods in our house so he had got hold of the
coloring when out of the house.  He actually ended up in the hospital when
he had the red coloring along with pollen allergies in St. Louis when we
were visiting there.  It seems that he can tolerate a small amount of the
coloring, but if it is during allergy season the asthma really kicks in.  I
think it is because his immune system is already compromised.

Also, allergic reactions obviously are different in different prople. So
the source may be the same , and the reaction different.  I would really
beware of any artificial stuff for allergic people.
Rachele Shaw