NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gail Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 17:29:10 -0600
My son is allergic to whey (alpha-lactalbumin, actually) which pretty much
contaminates everything, including lactose.

As for the caramel colouring, sometimes he reacts, sometimes he doesn't.
Sometimes I find a product that contains a caramel colour that he does NOT
react to and I believe it safe, then they may change their caramel colour
source without any notice and he will react the next time.

It's hit and miss for us.  Fortunately he doesn't have a severe reaction,
but it's enough to be a big problem.  I've learned to just try and avoid it
entirely.  For those with anaphylactic reactions... I'd stay completely away
from anything that reads "caramel colouring" even if you have not reacted to
that product.  You never know when a mfg is going to change gears on you
unless they specifically claim to be dairy free.

Gail