C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 06:28:07 -0600
Ok, you just knew I couldn't keep silent about this one for long.  You know
me.  I've worked in early intervention and with young children with a
variety of disabilities.  The choice does not have to be between
communication and walking.  There are several good programs out there such
as the MOVE program who recognize that upright posture, eye to eye contact
and the ability to engage ones environment are not mutually exclusive but,
part of the whole.
The important part is to have a collaborative effort on the part of all
parties occupational, physical, speechies, interventions and yes parent and
child.
I can tell you stories of where the child recieved therapies but, no support
at home and how far she got and I can tell you stories of great follow
through and how much better the child's life is now.
Communication is more than just speech, it is eye contact, engagement,
reading facial expressions, emotions, play.  Speech and communciation,
walking, play (my area of expertise as the OT), have motoric and cognitive
components.

Ok, off soap box.

Beth the OT