C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Karen K. Perlow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:49:31 EDT
Hi,
    There's been alot of discussion about CP & depression.I just wanted to
let you know that at my house I'm the one who has CP, but it's my husband who
has the depression.He had clinical depression long before we met, before they
even knew the proper term for it.Although dealing with the CP has caused some
stress which can't help the depression, it is NOT a major contributor to it.I
have always hated to see people judge non disabled spouses to be saints or
martyrs.Those that stick it out do so because they love us, not out of some
desire to impress others or get into heaven..We contribute something to the
marriage too.Marriage is a partnership.It is possible to have a positive
attitude AND have CP.It all depends on your perspective.I have always seen
the glass as half full, not half empty.Alot of factors in my life contributed
to my outlook & I'm grateful for every one of them. I've always been taught
God only gives you what He thinks you can handle...He must think I'm Wonder
Woman...: )

Karen