VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Jamal Mazrui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 18:02:35 -0700
Colleagues,
I thought you may be interested in reading an ADA complaint I
filed and the response it received from the Department of
Justice.  My case was understandably not of major consequence.
It did, however concern discrimination that I and many other
blind people experienced over the course of a week-long
convention.  The fact that it took over 9 months to receive a
non-substantive response on this simple matter is a commentary on
the    present implementation of our civil rights under ADA.

Regards,
Jamal

----------
                                         1400 East-West Highway, #427
                                        Silver Spring, MD  20910

                                        July 8, 1996

Disability Rights Section
U.S. Department of Justice
P.O. Box 66738
Washington, DC  20035-9998

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to file a complaint under Title III of the Americans
with Disabilities Act.  The complaint is against the Doubletree
Downtown hotel in Tulsa, Oklahoma for discrimination in the
operation of its restaurant.  It may be contacted as follows:

Doubletree Downtown
616 West Seventh Street
Tulsa, OK  74127
Phone: (918) 587-8000

I was a guest at this hotel for a week between June 29 and July
6, 1996.  Blind myself, I was attending the annual convention of
the American Council of the Blind.  It is my understanding that
during this time the hotel management decided to significantly
abbreviate the restaurant menu because of complications it
thought would arise from numerous blind customers.  I further
understand that the hotel does not use an abbreviated menu for
other conventions.

I see no valid justification for the abbreviated menu on the
basis of blindness.  The restricted menu choice was inconsistent
with my reasonable expectation of dining variety at a hotel of
that caliber, especially during a week-long stay.  My visit to
Tulsa was not as enjoyable as a result.

Thank you for investigating this matter.

                                        Sincerely yours,

                                        Jamal Mazrui

----------
 U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division
Disability Rights Section
P.O. Box 66738
Washington DC 20035-6738

DJ 202-35-0

May 21, 1997

Mr. Jamal Mazrui
1400 East-West Highway, #427
Silver Spring, Maryland 20910

Re: Doubletree Downtown, Tulsa, OK

Dear Mr. Mazrui:

 This is in response to your correspondence alleging violation of
title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA).

     The ADA authorizes the Department of Justice to investigate
alleged violations of title III, which prohibits discrimination
against persons with disabilities by public accommodations and
commercial facilities. However, the Department is not able to
pursue every complaint we receive.

     After a review of the matter you have raised, we have
decided not to take any further action. Our decision does not
indicate whether or not we believe there has been a violation of
the ADA in this instance. Nor does our decision affect your
right, as an affected individual, to seek correction of the
problems you have identified. You are free to file a private suit
in Federal court. Your local or State bar association may be able
to give names of private attorneys or alternative dispute
resolution services (such as arbitration or mediation). Some
Better Business Bureaus are also prepared to help settle ADA
complaints. You may also try other means of resolving the
dispute, including direct discussions with the business with whom
you have a problem.

     In addition, a number of other options are available to you,
including consulting State or local authorities or disability
rights groups. Enclosed is a list of such organizations serving
your area. These listings come from various sources, and our
offices cannot guarantee that the listings are current and
accurate. We suggest that if you contact any of these
organizations, you let them know that you have received this
letter from us, so that they will not forward your complaint to
our office.

     We are also enclosing a copy of the title III Technical
Assistance Manual for your reference. If you have any questions
concerning the ADA, you may call our information line at
(800) 514-0301 (Voice), (800) 514-0383 (TDD). You may also wish
to call your regional ADA Technical Assistance Center. By calling
(800) 949-4ADA (voice and TDD) you will be connected to the
center serving your region. We regret that we cannot be of
further assistance in this matter.

Sincerely,

Carolyn Russell
Supervisor