VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 10:22:49 -0600
from the Wall Street Journal

   January 29, 1998

Merchants Trade Main Street
For the Information Superhighway

   By JANE COSTELLO
   Special to THE WALL STREET JOURNAL INTERACTIVE EDITION

   Tim Brockett is leaving Main Street in the dust.

   The founder of Branford Bike Shop, a bicycle store located in the town
   center of Branford, Conn., Mr. Brockett closed up shop on Dec. 31 and
   will open for business on-line next month. Having run a successful
   mail-order service in conjunction with the store, he plans to move his
   20,000 customers to the Web in an effort to cut costs and free up
   time.

                                   Links

   [Go]Join an on-line discussion about Web-based businesses.

   [Go]Egghead to Close All Stores to Focus on Net Commerce

   Branford Bike
   www.branfordbike.com

   All Destinations Travel
   www.alltravel.com

   Pandora's Books
   www.pandorasbooks.com

   "I took it as far as I could," he says of his retail business. "I want
   to concentrate more on doing things for myself. I'd like to get
   married, have a family, and not spend so much time working."

   While it is unlikely that retail shops across the country will padlock
   their doors and relocate to cyberspace en masse, some forward-thinking
   entrepreneurs are betting that doing business from a Web site instead
   of a storefront can be profitable. But preparation is important in
   making a successful transition.

   Nancy Zebrick, a travel agent once based in Cherry Hill, N.J., and now
   located on the Web, closed her office in a shopping mall on Nov. 1 and
   moved her operations to the back room of an industrial park. Ms.
   Zebrick has spent the last three years building her Web business to
   the point where it made financial sense to branch out without the
   benefit of a branch.

   "I could see the writing on the wall," says Ms. Zebrick, who bought
   the travel agency in 1994, just before the airlines began to impose
   commission caps on tickets. She decided to focus instead on big-ticket
   items such as cruises and all-inclusive vacations.

   In 1996, All Destinations Travel had sales of $1.8 million, with 20%
   of business derived from the Web site. By 1997, the company captured
   70% of its clients from cyberspace and recorded annual sales of $3
   million. Ms. Zebrick expects that figure to grow to $5 million by the
   end of 1998. "It's all timing," she says. "Like any good
   businessperson, I turned a wrong into a right because I was stubborn
   and refused to give up."

   Mr. Brockett prepared for the transition to the Web by surveying his
   mail-order customer base. More than 50% of his existing clients have
   Web access, and most said they would be willing to place an order
   on-line. Mr. Brockett believes that his mail-order profit margin of 6%
   could double when mailing costs and other expenses are rendered
   obsolete by the move to the Web.

   Although cognizant of the fact that he may lose a large number of
   customers who prefer to shop by mail instead of e-mail, Mr. Brockett
   has already factored that risk into the equation. The reduced costs
   and low overhead, combined with the fact that he will no longer spend
   40 to 60 hours per week in the store, make him optimistic about the
   viability of his newest venture.

   "I can lose up to half of my sales and still do better than I did last
   year," he says. "What I want is to be able to keep it small but
   profitable."

   Although tenacity may be a key element to being a successful
   entrepreneur, doing business on the Web requires going beyond
   traditional marketing skills associated with having a storefront.
   Unlike the retail setting, customers are "just a click away," says
   David Arnold, a consultant based in Eugene, Ore., who conducts
   seminars for companies planning to develop or expand their Web sites.
   "The Web is a different culture. People come looking for expertise as
   well as selection, and they come to the Net expecting something for
   free."

   Mr. Arnold advises clients not to get "too fancy," and to concentrate
   instead on making a site fast-loading and easy to navigate. "A Web
   site is not a baseball diamond in Iowa," he says. "Just because you
   build it, doesn't mean anyone will know it's there unless you're
   proactive about it."

   While he emphasizes the fact that merchants can use the Web to impart
   the kind of expertise that wouldn't be feasible in a retail
   environment where they're paying employees by the minute, he cautions
   clients against putting too much information on-line or making
   "garbage" links that do not add value to their site. Customers may
   appreciate the interaction, he says, but are likely to get frustrated
   if they can't find something they know should be there.

   "Clearly, there is a lot of potential for doing business on the Web,"
   Mr. Arnold says, "but you need to be careful. We still don't really
   know what makes a Web business work. I like to think of it as
   supplementing a business rather than supplanting one. It's still most
   effective for that purpose."

   Regardless of the many potential stumbling blocks, some small-business
   owners are closing their stores in an effort to expand their market.
   Pandora's Books, a store selling pagan and occult products in Toronto,
   became a Web-only business on Jan. 1. The 23-year-old owner, who goes
   by her spiritual name, Aislinn, says she is glad to be rid of her
   store which, she says, was on a good street, but too far from the main
   road. She believes that cyberspace will provide a friendlier
   environment and allow her to take advantage of the "huge" market that
   already exists on the Web for these products, which range from incense
   to spell kits.

   "It's not such a great thing sitting around and waiting in an occult
   store," she says. "Some of the people who came in were pretty scary."

   Aislinn says she is also hoping that the open nature of cyberspace
   will help her capture business that might otherwise not have come
   knocking on her door. More potential customers will feel free to
   peruse her selection on-line without the fear of being seen through a
   store window.

   "The pagan community in Toronto is quite large, but we're still only
   the Toronto pagan community," she says. "I've already gotten calls
   from people in small towns in Canada who are excited about this
   stuff."

   But all of these small business owners will face similar hurdles when
   it comes to peddling their wares on-line. "It takes a lot of effort to
   do things correctly -- it's not a slam-dunk thing you can do in five
   minutes and give up your retail business," says Irv Brechner, the
   founder of Smart Business Supersite and a direct marketing consultant
   for on-line businesses. On-line entrepreneurs need to be prepared to
   deal with the ambiguities associated with consumer shopping habits,
   and adjust their expectations accordingly.

   "There are some people who just like to shop in stores," he says.
   "They'll buy certain things by mail order and certain things on the
   Web -- especially music, books and travel. But it doesn't work for
   every product. When it comes to buying a gift for my wife, I just want
   to be able to go somewhere and look at it."

   The on-line marketplace has already changed dramatically in terms of
   winning consumer acceptance, and these entrepreneurs are banking their
   future on the fact that attitudes toward shopping on-line will
   continue to evolve alongside the technology. In the meantime, they are
   looking forward to the challenges associated with going solo in
   cyberspace.

   "I had tears in my eyes when I took down the sign," says Branford
   Bike's Mr. Brockett, "and I still feel a little sad when I walk by the
   store. But I feel like I'm on the edge of something much better, that
   will work out for me personally and for my customers. I want to keep
   that balance in my life."

   Copyright © 1998 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.