VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Gary Bowers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 23:10:42 -0500
Hi everyone,

This post is about reflective apparel for people and animals. I got the
link (below message) from a techie newsletter that I received yesterday.

A woman named Beth Marcus and her pet dog were nearly hit by a car at
night. She shopped for safety garments for her and her dog, and found
nothing that she considered suitable. She decided on a hi-tech solution
and founded a company called "Glow Dog." Her company sells unique safety
apparel for people and pets.

Glow Dog uses a technology called "IlumiNITE® " which, as I understand
it, is some kind of printing process that embeds millions of microscopic
reflectors into the weave of a fabric. These act as mirrors to reflect
light (like car headlights) back to its source. These mirrors are
microscopic, which, supposedly, allows the fabric to maintain its
softness and daylight/indoor color. However, in the beams of an oncoming
car, the fabric "reflects a brilliant light."

The following is from a techie site that reviewed the products:

"Glow Dog makes reflective safety wear for the outdoors. For dogs, there
are bandanas, capes, even a bow tie (for formal dinner parties). For
cats (at least cats that are willing to wear them) there are collars,
collar covers, and bunchies... For us humans, there are polar fleece
jackets, boat hats, pants, backpacks, raincoats, T-shirts, safety vests,
and windbreakers. Most importantly, perhaps, there is a line of
windbreakers and other items designed for children."

I have not tried this product, and this is NOT an endorsement. If some
of you want to find out more, go to their web-site at:

http://www.glowdog.com/

Now, if they could only make something so that I could see my kids at
night without headlight beams.

I'm sorry if any of y'all consider this spam. I just thought it was an
interesting option for guide dog users and others.

Gary
"