NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"E.J. Mumaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:55:22 EST
>>But fries and plain burgers are O.K. if you want to risk it.

Lisa,

The risk is very minimal if you have them change gloves and/or wash their
hands right before preparing the order.  I have seen them change their gloves
when I place my order while still finishing orders placed before me.  I then
emphasize that the gloves need to be changed before the start of preparing MY
order.  I have been to many McDonald's in several states and have not found
any resistance to this being done.  The manager at your local McDonald's
should be more than willing to take you into the food prep area and explain
the process and protocols.  Then you can more accurately assess the risk for
yourself.

My son's last anaphylactic reaction (8/02) was from food prepared without
gloves being changed first which made his food cross contaminated with cheese
from the gloves.  The reaction before that (2/00) was from airborne milk
protein from milk being cooked.  He was 30 feet from the cooking milk.

I do not risk foods prepared on dairy equipment even though the food itself
does not contain dairy.  He has had reactions to these kinds of foods as a
toddler.

E.J.